Journal Writing Prompts
Use these prompts about childhood in your journal writing to gain self knowledge and discover more about yourself.
"In solitude we give passionate attention to our lives, to our memories, to the details around us." Virginia Woolf
Prompts About Family Life
Use these prompts to reflective on your life growing up.
- What was your first pet? How did you choose this pet?
- Where did you grow up? Describe what it was like.
- What kinds of activities did your family enjoy together?
- What is your strongest memory of your mother, your father?
- What is your fondest memory of an animal or pet?
- What is the earliest memory you have of a sibling?
- Was there a special place you retreated to?
- What food did you like as a child that you don't like now?
- What food did you not like as a child that you do like now?
- What did your family do on Sundays?
- If you had siblings, what activities did you enjoy together?
- Describe one of your first away-from-home experiences
- Describe a smell that you remember from growing up.
- What was your favorite family dinner as a child?
- Talk about a time when you were grounded.
- At what age did you learn to ride a bicycle?
Your Future As a Child
What did you want to be when you grew up?When you were a child, how did you imagine your adult life? How is it similar or different from what you imagined?
Memories of Childhood
Use these prompts to help clarify your thinking about your childhood. Describe someone who taught you to believe in yourself.Who inspired you as a child?What were your favorite hobbies?Describe the things you enjoyed as a child and still enjoy now.What's your earliest holiday memory?Describe an early photograph of yourself. Talk about when and where it was taken and what was happening in your life then.What frightening dream do you remember from your past?What did you not like about your childhood?Recall one of your favorite childhood stories.What did you collect as a child? What did you like about these items?
Prompts About Your School Life
What's your most treasured memory from high school?Describe an event you’ll never forget from your school days.Who was your best, or worst, teacher? Describe him/her.What did you learn about life and people from these teachers?What was your favorite subject?Describe a time when you got in trouble at school.How would you have liked your school learning experiences to have been different?
Friendships and Love
Use these prompts to understand your relationships with others.
- Describe your first boyfriend or girlfriend.
- Describe your first kiss.
- Describe what it was like to fall in love.
- Describe a childhood friend.
- Describe your best childhood friend.
These prompts about childhood will help you rediscover your past. If your childhood was difficult, these questions will help shed light and a perhaps a different angle on the situation.
For more journal writing prompts in addition to prompts about childhood, check out —
- Journal Writing Prompts
- Reflective Journal Writing Prompts
- Prompts About Friendship
- Prompts About Ideas
Go from Prompts About Childhood to Journal Writing Prompts
Go to Self Esteem Home Page