Mindfulness For Beginners
Mindfulness for beginners will give you the pathway to greater peace of mind, emotional health, physical health and general well-being.
Life is a succession of lessons which must be lived to be understood. Ralph Waldo Emerson
Like everything that is important in life, learning this practice takes time and patience. This is because we are so used to hearing mind chatter. We are constantly planning for the future or thinking about the past.
Often we are self critical. So turning off constant talk and allowing our minds to be still is hard work. We have to learn how to quiet our minds one step at a time. Be patient with yourself and slowly you will be able to focus on the present.
The greatest discovery of our generation is that human being can alter their lives by altering their attitudes of mind. As you think, so shall you be. William James
Mindfulness means paying attention on purpose, in the present moment with qualities like compassion, curiosity and acceptance.
For more information, have a look at What is Mindfulness?
Mindfulness for Beginners —
Ten Top Ways to Get Started Now
- Connect with people. Connecting with people will help you feel engaged.
- Be out in nature. Focus on trees and the sky and the world around you.
- Be aware of your body, emotions and thoughts. Think about these as if you were someone else thinking about them. Be detached from your thoughts. They aren’t facts.
- Focus and enjoy the present moment rather than the past and the future.
- Listen to unpleasant thoughts and then let them go away.
- Be grateful for what you have. Stop yearning for what you don’t have.
- Let go of things that will give you disappointment.
- Breathe and smile. Smile with your liver ! Breathe in and out. In and out.
- Create a plan now for finding quiet time everyday. Commit yourself. Start with 5-10 minutes. Adjust your plan as necessary and you’ll be successful. A little bit every day is the road to success.
- Take a rest from your devices for a half-hour a day.
This is where you will win the battle — in the playhouse of your mind. Maxwell Maltz
How to Boost your Success
with Mindfulness for Beginners
Make a pledge to keep committed. Know that commitment is hard work and don’t despair if you can’t follow through all the time. Keep trying. You’ll get there.
Ways to Build Self-discipline —
- Forgive yourself if you slip up from time to time. Meditation is a long term process.
- Take your new commitment step by step. Willpower is strengthened over time. Start with a short meditative walk every day. Add time to your walk when you have developed the habit of daily walking.
- Believe in yourself. Believe that you are capable of developing a mindfulness for beginner’s habit.
- Ask for support. If you are stuck and are having real trouble, ask someone to join you for a quiet meditation walk or find a meditation group.
- Reward yourself for even small successes. Creating a daily discipline is hard and even small achievements are tremendous.
Courage is resistance to fear mastery of fear – not absence of fear. Mark Twain
Three Top States of Mind
for Mindfulness for Beginners
Ten Ways to Grow a Healthy Attitude
in Mindfulness for Beginners
- Be aware of your thoughts. Are they mostly positive ? Attitude is the perspective you have on the the events in your life. It is your impression of how successful you are. You can modify your attitude.
It isn’t always easy. Old habits die hard as the saying goes. But by becoming aware of your thoughts, you can change them.
When you choose a mindful attitude towards your thoughts, you are able to release those that are self limiting. Getting rid of negative thoughts builds self esteem and self confidence.
- Attitudes can become habits — both good and bad habits.Begin by finding out your attitude towards stillness, about non-doing and silence. Do you aways feel that you have to be busy ?
Though awareness and self understanding, you can develop a healthy attitude towards the practice of mindfulness for beginners. Your attitude towards mindfulness will determine your success.
- Accept yourself for who you are.Avoid judging yourself. If critical self judgement is a current habit in your mind. Stop it. You can stop this habit by being aware of it and shifting your thinking to something else. This is not easy. Don’t get frustrated ! Keep practicing and eventually you’ll find shifting your thinking easy.
- Be patient.Impatience is stressful. When you feel frustrated and rushed, shift your mind to mindfulness. Look at your surroundings. Let go. Focus on this very moment.
- See life as if through the mind of a child.Imagine you are seeing for the very first time. Understand life in a fresh way.
- Trust the process of mindfulness for beginners.
- Practice curiosity. Try to notice life around you in a different way. Learn new things.
- Let go.
- Develop kindness.
- Care for yourself.
Dignity and humility are the cornerstones of compassion.Theodore Isaac Rubin
in Mindfulness for Beginners
Intention is purpose. It is what you hope to achieve from your actions. For example in starting meditation, your intention might be to find peace of mind and relief from stress.
Or maybe it is to discover more about who you are or to achieve more balance in your life. Perhaps you want to have greater control over your emotions or to become more compassionate and kind. What is your intention? Discover your intention by completing these sentences.
Find a clear vision of what you want from your life.
- I want to practise mindfulness because …
- I am hoping mindfulness will give me …
- If I am more mindful I will …
- The real reasons I want to practise mindfulness are to ...
- Ultimately mindfulness will give me …
- Mindfulness is …
"Let the beauty of nature feed your soul."Anon
in Mindfulness for Beginners
Mindfulness increases your level of attention with practice. Imagine driving without paying attention to the road. Now imagine practicing mindfulness without paying attention to your thoughts.
Keep your mind focused and keep coming back to the present moment when your mind wanders off. This is what paying attention is.
Ten Ways Mindfulness for Beginners
Can Help You
- Train your brain.
- Boost your creativity.
- Improve your relationships.
- Give deeper meaning to your life.
- Reduce chronic pain.
- Combat anxiety.
- Reduce stress.
- Reduce depression.
- Regulate eating habits.
- Increase happiness.
Begin your practice now. You'll be forever grateful that you did !
Go from Mindfulness for Beginners to Vision Boards
Go to Self Esteem Home Page